BURY AC – Seniors Grand Prix 2020/21
An annual points competition open to all paid-up competitive members of Bury AC aged 18 or over on 1st October 2020. This is designed to encourage increased participation in club events and local races. Therefore only athletes who have participated in club events will retain their standing in the final table, as outlined in the rules below. The Grand Prix will run from 1st Oct – 30th Sept annually, with prizes given at the presentation evening in December.
Categories: Men & Women. Senior and Veteran. Veterans are those aged 40 or over at 1st October 2020.
Points: Males & females score separately. No separate scoring for Veterans, so a Veteran could win the overall prize.
The first finisher among eligible Bury AC runners will be awarded 20 points (men) / 12 points (ladies), the second finisher 19/11 points and so on. All other entrants earn at least one point.
There is no “Joker” in this year’s competition as there has been in previous years.
Rules: Please make yourself aware of the following rules, which are not discretionary:
- Points only count where the runner has registered in the race as a member of Bury AC and wears the club vest during the race.
- Runners are responsible for arranging their own race entry, either directly or – for Red Rose or road relays – through the club. Bear in mind that some races may sell out, so enter early or you may miss out.
- Only the official, published race results will be used to calculate points awards.
- To retain their place in the final standings, an athlete must have represented the club (or made themselves available for selection where competitive places are limited) for at least one fixture in a minimum of two of the three primary competitions in which Bury AC compete:
- Red Rose Cross Country (4 fixtures Oct-Dec)
- Northern League Track & Field (4 fixtures May-Aug)
- Road Relays (3 fixtures; 1 in March & 2 in September – excludes Nationals if we qualify)
Rule 4 has been waived for the 2020/21 competition due to uncertainty about competitive fixtures
This year’s race list is subject to change due to fixture uncertainty as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic
|Race type||Specific event||Date||Points award||Event link / entry|
|Track||5k time trial (Best of 3)||Nov (virtual)
Jan (mob run)
|Best time across the series|
|Road 10k||Tatton 10k (Best of 3)||Sat 5th Dec, Sat 10th April, Sat 8th May
|Best time across the series||results|
|Virtual 5 mile||EA Virtual Road Relay||10-21st Feb||By time||results|
|Virtual relay||Virtual relay||Intra-club relay||Team position|
|Road 5k||Sale Sizzler (Best of 4)||17th June, 1st/15th/29th July||Best time
|Track 10000m||Bury Track 10000m||Wed 25th August||By finish position||Results|
|Track 3000m||Any Trafford Open or Cheshire League 3,000m*||Various – Summer 2021||Best time|
|Trail||Race the Train||Sun 25th July||By finish position||Results|
|Parkrun||Heaton parkrun||Sat 4th September [doubles as selection event for road relays]||By finish position
|Info & results here|
|Half marathon||Any (with some exceptions – see below)*||Any||By fastest time in any half marathon – link to official result to be submitted to club captain||N/a|
* No elective event (i.e. those with multiple options such as Podium 5k or a half marathon) score points if it clashes with a club event (Red Rose, Northern League or Road Relay) within 3 days either side and the athlete does not also represent the club in that event.